In our feature presentation on options, we start with a conversation with Bill Brodsky (see “Listed options: A brief history,” page 16), the long-time leader of the Chicago Board Options Exchange (CBOE), who is now chairman and will retire fr
In 2016, few companies have generated more headlines than Tesla Motors (TSLA). And few stocks have moved on headlines more than Elon Musk’s. In early July, Tesla released details of a tragic accident that cost one life due to failure of the autopilot feature on its Model S.
Last summer, Supervalu (SVU), announced plans to spin-off its wholly owned subsidiary Save-A-Lot, a discount grocery retailer. SVU, which was trading in mid-July at $5.35 for a market cap of $1.4 billion, will spin-off 60% of its ownership interest in Save-A-Lot and retain the remaining 40%.
Brexit will be talked about, written about and analyzed for many years. It also revives the age-old argument between fundamental and technical traders. Technical traders argue that price action is all you need to know to formulate direction, entry and exit targets. The charts indicate with reliability, the future direction of price.
There are no sure bets in financial markets. For years we could stipulate traders associated higher gold prices with higher inflation, and with good reason. You can create more units of paper money almost instantaneously, which brings their capacity to represent a stable store of value into question, but you cannot do that with gold.
When trading moved from raucous pits to computer screens, it created efficiencies, but what was lost was a sense of community. Traders found themselves alone in front of a screen, trading with no central market for information and without the energy that was found when the pits were vibrant.
U.S. light-vehicle automotive sales reached a record 17.4 million in 2015 and are forecast to rise 2.3% in 2016. Despite automotive sales at record highs, the stock performance of manufacturers such as Ford (F) and General Motors (GM) has not been great. The major reason for lackluster performance is inconsistent profit performance.
The phrase “Cliff vesting” refers to when employees are considered vested in an employer benefits plan and have earned the right to receive retirement plan benefits. Cliff investing? That’s when you are not willing to wait for retirement to begin enjoying life.
Only a few years after Henrik Fisker left his namesake car company, Fisker was back designing something new: The Force 1 V10.
Originally started with former GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz, and industrialist Gilbert Villarreal, Fisker joined the VLF Automotive team and the trio set out to make the kind of rare, luxury vehicle with the right amount of rev.
The relative strength index (RSI) measures the speed and change of price movements and helps identify overbought and oversold conditions that you can exploit. It compares the magnitude of recent gains to recent losses to gauge the price momentum of financial assets, including stocks, commodities and financials.